Posting Detail Information
Working Title GIS Analyst - Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, NJ
Position Location Trenton, NJ
Is this position eligible for hybrid or remote work? No
Research Professional Position Yes
Posting Number AP
Position Type Admin Professional/ Research Professional
Classification Title Research Associate II
Number of Vacancies 1
Work Hours/Week 40
Proposed Annual Salary Range $60,000 to $65,000
Colorado State University ( CSU ) is committed to providing employees with a strong and competitive benefits package that supports you, your health, and your family. Visit CSUs Human Resources website for detailed benefit plan information for permanent full-time and part-time faculty and administrative professional employees in the following University benefit areas: &
Desired Start Date 09/26/2022
Position End Date (if temporary)
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on 10/03/2022
Description of Work Unit
CEMML is a research, education and service unit within the Warner College of Natural Resources at Colorado State University ( CSU ). CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense (DoD) and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and within CSU to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources for future generations.
To learn more about CEMMLs contributions to land management, our mission, vision, and values, visit
Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst is the consolidation of McGuire Air Force Base, Fort Dix Army Base, and Naval Air Engineering Station Lakehurst. The merge was one of twelve recommended by congress in 2005. The base sits south east of Trenton and includes portions of eight different municipalities: Wrightstown, New Hanover, North Hanover, Pemberton, Springfield, Jackson, Manchester, and Plumsted. The New Jersey coastline is within 20 miles from the area and has some of the most beautiful white beaches that include scenic views of barrier reefs, historic lighthouses, and quaint fishing villages.
A Geographic Information System ( GIS ) Analyst (Research Associate II Special) position is available with the Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands ( CEMML ). The duty location is Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst and the position also serves Cape Cod Air Force Station, Hanscom Air Force Base, New Boston Air Force Station, and Rome Laboratory. This position will require occasional travel, up to a week at a time, to supported installations.
The GIS Analyst will be responsible for data development and data maintenance for all environmental GIS data. This includes but is not limited to incorporating data from disparate sources, applying quality control checks, and standardizing data to the SDSFIE . The individual will also be responsible for providing GIS support to the Air Force environmental programs. This includes but is not limited to cartographic support, data requests, and data analysis. This position will engage with Air Force environmental Program Managers and staff at all supported installations on a routine basis. This includes but is not limited to collaborating on projects, providing status updates, and presenting to small groups.
The successful candidate must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. by the proposed start date; CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
This position cannot support telecommuting.
Required Job Qualifications
- Minimum of a BS or BA degree(s) in computer science, information technology, geographic information systems, geography, environmental science, or related fields.
- Three years of demonstrated GIS work experience is required, coursework will not be included.
- The successful applicant shall demonstrate experience in all of the following: environmental-related GIS , Esris ArcGIS software, and cartography.
- Must have demonstrated work experience applying spatial data standards, data development, and data maintenance.
- Must have the ability to work both independently and collaboratively, as well as take initiative to resolve issues.
- Must demonstrate superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to pass the DoD background check for a Common Access Card ( CAC ).
- The applicant must be able to work full-time on-site.
- The applicant must be able to travel (up to 1 week in duration) at least 2 times per year to each remotely located Air Force Base within the area of responsibility.
- This position may require fieldwork to obtain environmental data, which includes possibly walking long distances in adverse terrain and weather conditions, carrying all necessary supplies and equipment (less than 45lbs).
- The successful candidate must have or be able to obtain a valid drivers license by the employment start date.
- The successful candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States by the proposed start date. CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Desired qualifications include experience working in a highly structured organization and demonstrated knowledge of military instructions, directives, guidance, and environmental regulations and processes.
- Demonstrated work experience with the following:
U.S. Air Force GeoBase program, Spatial Data Standards for Facility, Infrastructure, and Environment ( SDSFIE ), and International Organization Standardization ( ISO ) or Federal Geographic Data Committee ( FGDC ) metadata standards is preferred.
- Existing National Agency Check with Inquiries ( NACI ) is highly desired.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Departments commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Database Management
The GIS Analyst will be responsible for data development and data maintenance for all environmental GIS data for five U.S. Air Force Bases. The successful candidate will ensure all data are maintained to the SDSFIE standards, metadata meets project requirements, and passes Quality Control checks.
Percentage Of Time 30%
Job Duty Category GIS Support and Data Analysis
The GIS Analyst will be responsible for providing GIS support including but not limited to cartographic support, data requests, and data analysis.
Percentage Of Time 25%
Job Duty Category Data Collection
The GIS Analyst will be responsible for collection and evaluation of existing spatial and aspatial data from disparate sources. The successful candidate will perform field data collection using GPS , rectify aerial photography, and digitize features from imagery.
Percentage Of Time 15%
Job Duty Category Consultation
The GIS Analyst will engage with Air Force environmental Program Managers and staff at all supported installations on a routine basis, including but not limited to reviewing data and providing status updates.
Percentage Of Time 15%
Job Duty Category Travel
The GIS Analyst will be responsible for periodic travel (2x per year per remotely located base), up to 1 week in duration per trip, to provide project updates, conduct GIS data review, and offer GIS support services.
Percentage Of Time 10%
Job Duty Category Reporting
The GIS Analyst will be responsible for monthly reporting requirements.
Percentage Of Time 5%
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered for hire. Apply no later than October 3, 2022, for full consideration at jobs.colostate.edu. Mailed or emailed applications will not be accepted.
Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered. Please remove social security numbers and birth dates from application materials. A complete application consists of:
- Statement of Qualifications (one-page letter addressing each qualification described in the announcement) uploaded in the Cover Letter slot.
- Transcripts (for each degree earned that is listed under qualifications) uploaded in the Official Transcripts or Unofficial Transcripts slot.
- Degree Conferral (copy of diploma if transcripts do not include confirmation that degree was awarded) uploaded in the Other slot.
- References please include within your application contact information for 3 professional references including at least one supervisor.
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
..... click apply for full job details