Responsible for sourcing, ingestion, modelling, development & improvement of robust data models & architecture and wider Analytics. Support the GPA,s AWS Data Warehouse environment.
The Government Property Agency is changing the way the Civil Service works and is at the forefront of Government's transformation agenda; reshaping the relationship civil servants have with their place of work. The Agency is central to the delivery of key Government policies including moving 22,000 Civil Service roles out of London by 2030 and tackling climate change by contributing to the Net Zero agenda. To do this we are delivering a major change programme across the UK and consolidating our portfolio in order to save £1.4 Bn over 10 years.
Beyond the bricks and mortar, the GPA is about providing great workplaces for our people. Through programmes like Hubs, Whitehall Campus and Smart Working you will be in the vanguard of creating model working environments and promoting flexible working practices.
This is an ambitious and exciting task, for which we need innovative people, with strong commercial acumen, who are passionate about visualising and implementing customer needs. Launched as an Executive Agency of the Cabinet Office in 2018, we're a relatively new department and we are growing fast so we also need people who thrive in ambiguity, can adapt quickly to change and are comfortable stepping outside of their remit to drive outcomes.
- You will collaborate with analysts, data owners/stewards and business SMEs to craft conceptual & physical data models to improve core systems performance and usability.
- You will also assure the quality of models by documenting, testing and validating metrics and data with business partners, subsequently supporting our release process to push your models into production.
- Support & development of GPA's AWS Data Warehouse environment
- Data analysis and synthesis - Translates data into valuable insights that inform decisions. Involves teams in analytics and synthesis to increase consensus and challenge assumptions. Identifies and utilises the most appropriate analytical techniques. Has an understanding of analytical tools and is numerate. Is aware of and keeps up to date with advances in digital analytics tools and data manipulation products. Collects, collates, cleanses, synthesises and interprets data to derive meaningful and actionable insights.
- Data development process - Integrates and separates data feeds in order to map, produce, transform, and test new data products.
- Data integration design - Develops fit for purpose, resilient, scalable and future-proof data services to meet user needs. Has a demonstrable understanding of how to expose data from systems (for example, through APIs), link data from multiple systems and deliver streaming services.
- Datamodelling - Produces data models and understands where to use different types of data models. Understands different tools and is able to compare between different data models. Able to reverse engineer a data model from a live system. Understands industry recognised Datamodelling patterns and standards.
- Programming and build (data engineering) - Designs, writes and iterates code from prototype to production-ready. Understands security, accessibility and version control. Can use a range of coding tools and languages.
- Technical understanding (data engineering) - Has knowledge of specific technologies which underpin an individual's ability to deliver the responsibilities and tasks of their role. Applies the required breadth and depth of technical knowledge.
- Testing - Plans, designs, manages, executes and reports tests, using appropriate tools and techniques, and works within regulations. Ensures risks associated with deployment are adequately understood and documented
- inspire best practice for data products and services within their teams
- help build the data engineering capability by providing technical support and
- work with other senior team members to identify, plan, develop and deliver data services
- Implement and maintain reliable and scalable data infrastructure.
The Senior Data Engineer will collaborate with analysts, data owners/stewards and business SMEs to craft conceptual & physical data models to improve core systems performance and usability.
Will also assure the quality of models by documenting, testing and validating metrics and data with business partners, subsequently supporting our release process to push your models into production.
Have the ability to;
- Data Sourcing: ETL design & development.
- Datamodelling: Conceptual, logical and physical Datamodelling.
- Data Engineering: Implementation of performant models within a AWS and Azure data warehouse environment.
- Testing & Verification: Testing across the development life cycle, inc unit, system, integration, and user acceptance.
- Experience interfacing with PowerBi or other visualisation tools.
A chance for the Senior Data Engineer to help the Government transform and achieve its Net Zero climate objective.
National salary is £60000 to £69000.
The package on offer for this role is £69000.
This is made up of a starting salary up to £60000 PLUS £9000 Recruitment & Retention allowance for candidates that demonstrate the appropriate skills and experience.
- Learning and development tailored to your role.
- An environment with flexible working options, this includes the ability to work from home from time to time and the use of flexitime.
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity.
- A Civil Service pension.
- Generous annual leave. In addition, employees are entitled to 8 days public holiday.
- Cycle to work scheme - loan to purchase cycling equipment with typical savings of up 40%.
- Access to tax free childcare scheme and holiday playschemes.
- Free eye tests.
- Employee discounts through EdenRed.
Location of the office is London.
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check. Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check. See our vetting charter. People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
To ensure a fair and open process all candidates must apply using the provided link and within the deadline of the 9th October 2022. Your application will then be reviewed and scored against job requirements and if successful you will be contacted for first stage screening by Michael Page.
This vacancy uses Civil Service Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths, Experience and Technical skills. (Core Skills)
Applicants successful at sift will be scored against the following Behaviours at interview:
- Managing a quality service
- Communicating & Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering at pace
Candidates will also be assessed against Technical Skills (GPA Core Skills) at interview.
- Customer Perspective
- Commercial Acumen
- Property Market Knowledge